Selfies Twice as Deadly as Shark Attacks!
According to the Huffington Post, selfie-related accidents have killed more people this year than unprovoked shark attacks. Although both of these fatalities are quite rare, the statistics are interesting.
While 6 people have died of unprovoked shark attacks this year, 12 people have died of injuries related to taking a selfie.
The list of all 12 selfie fatalities were listed on Wikipedia. Here they are:
1. An American woman fell to her death while taking a selfie with her boyfriend on a cliff in South Africa.
2, 3. Two Russian men were killed while taking a selfie with a hand grenade.
4,5,6. Three Indian students were killed by an oncoming train while taking selfies on train tracks.
7. A Romanian teenager was electrocuted when she was taking a selfie on top of a train and touched a high-voltage wire.
8. A Russian teen was also electrocuted after touching live wires while taking a selfie near railway tracks.
9. A Russian woman shot herself in the head while trying to take a selfie with a gun.
10. A woman in Moscow City died falling from a bridge, where she was trying to take a selfie.
11. A teenager in Houston, Texas, fatally shot himself while taking a selfie with a gun.
12. A Japanese tourist died falling down the stairs while taking a selfie at the Taj Mahal.
There is evidence that more selfie-related deaths have occured but were not filed as such and did not make headlines.
Moral of the story: Look both ways before you selfie!!